Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Absent from the Body

In January of 2005, Lozanne and I travelled to Victoria, British Columbia to help arrange and attend the funeral of my 84 year old mother. She had mercifully died in her sleep after a blessed and very active life. Several years before her passing, she had requested that I “take” the funeral when either of my parents should die. I had been delivering messages from the pulpit for about five years at the time. Without a lot of forethought, I agreed to conduct the funeral services. I would caution anyone to have another more objective and capable person look after the funeral service of close and beloved relatives. Indeed, when my father passed away just thirty-four days later, the minister of a local Bible believing church was asked to “take” the funeral. Of course I took responsibility for the eulogy for my father, but the rest of the service was handled by an objective and capable preacher.

By the time I had completed the eulogy for my mother, I was emotionally incapable, or so I thought, of delivering a coherent and inspiring salvation message to those present at the memorial service. I remember feeling absolutely exhausted and blank as I stood up to deliver the message. I had planned on speaking on John 11 which is the story of the resurrection from the dead of Lazarus, the brother of Mary and Martha. The main theme of my message was to be found in verses 25 and 26 of Chapter 11 of the Book of John.

25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.

26 "And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. John 11: 21-26

I started haltingly and wondered if I could finish what I had agreed to do. About five sentences into my message, it was if I gave up. Strangely, I didn’t sit down, but began to speak effortlessly. The only way I can explain the phenomenon is that the Holy Spirit within me simply seized the moment and took over. It was a wonderful feeling. All despair and confusion left me and I spoke clearly. I was led to a conclusion that comforted me as much as I hope it comforted others. That conclusion is found in 2Corinthians 5: 4-8.

4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.

5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.

6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.

7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.

8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

Paul assures us in verse 4 that our troubled and weak mortality here on this earth is swallowed up by life! Imagine how that statement is so opposite to the thinking of this world. Death is presented as an opportunity at life! We are guaranteed by the very Spirit who spoke on my behalf that, while we are alive on this earth, we are absent from the Lord. When; however, we are absent from the body, we are present with Lord. We shall join Jesus the very instant we leave this mortal body. Now that is comfort for those who believe!

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your faithfulness in publishing these devotionals. I had fallen behind 2 weeks, and was able to read the postings this afternoon. Plenty of stuff to feed on here. The more I read these, the more I see them being published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate so much those who take the time to read what I have written. I also appreciate so much your encouragement. It is indeed a blessing.

    ReplyDelete