Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Locked in the Trunk

Yesterday I took our dog, Marley, to the vet for treatment of a yeast infection in her ear. Needless to say, from her perspective, the appointment did not go well. She was not happy as we drove home. Yet this morning, there she was staring up at me with her usual loyal and undying love. An internet joke that my sister-in-law sent me a few months ago came to mind.

“There is no doubt that your dog is man’s best friend. This premise can be simply proven by trying the following experiment: Place your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for one hour. When you open the trunk, be careful to observe which one is glad to see you.”

I have no doubt when I opened the trunk that Marley would emerge tail wagging and ready to greet me with great joy. I suspect that the reaction of a loving wife or indeed my own reaction to being locked in the trunk, lest I be accused of sexism, would not be quite the same. It occurs to me today that there is much to be learned from the unfailing, unconditional, ever-loyal and accepting love of our canine friends.

All of us, from time to time, are “locked in the trunk”. I know that I have been in that hopeless darkness several times in recent history. My reaction does not model the example of man’s best friend. Marley is very much aware that, despite her immediate circumstances, in the long term, she is very much dependent on my love and care. Her reaction is the correct one. My reaction has been, like so many of us, one of anger towards my God. He is a forgiving God who can wait until our anger subsides in order that we may learn from the being “locked in the trunk” experience. As the gospel song “The Power of Your Love”, from the album of the same name, prays to our Lord, “renew my mind as Your will unfolds”.

I cannot even begin to appreciate the gift that my saviour has given to me. Despite the reality that I can never measure up to the standards demanded for entry to heaven, and I do mean never, Jesus has provided a way to take my selfish scarlet sins upon Himself and make them as “white as snow”. Through His coming to earth, teachings, actions and sufferings, I have a promise of an eternity in heaven. This thought is perfectly reflected in Isaiah 1:18.

18 "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.

19 If you are willing and obedient, You shall eat the good of the land;

As I emerge from being “locked in the trunk” all I have to do is be “willing and obedient”. Marley can do it. Why can’t I?

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

2 comments:

  1. It is human nature to lock ourselves in the trunk. Whether we read about God's dealings with man under the old covenant - Thus says the Lord to this people:'This they have loved to wander; They have not restrained their feet. Therefore the Lord does not accept them; He will remember their iniquity now, And punish their sins (Jer 14:10) or the many examples we read about our unfaithfulness under the new covenant, it is wonderful to know that under the new covenant just like in the new model automobiles there is a latch to unlock the trunk from the inside. Hebrews 8 relates a promise from Jeremiah 31 which foretells of a more excellent covenant one where our sins and lawless deeds will He remember no more.
    Thanks be to our God who by His Spirit calls us to fellowship around the emblems which put our focus on His Son to enjoy His company, knowing our sins are forgiven.
    That my prayer may be that this week, I spend less time in the trunk, but more time in the back seat, letting His Spirit be the driver up front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to express our proper and happiest position...in the back seat allowing our Lord to navigate.

    ReplyDelete