Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Outside of Time

We have moved! Lozanne and I no longer live in the country. Almost five months ago, the movers arrived at our door more than an hour late. That very difficult day ended in the early hours of the following morning. We have downsized to a small nicely renovated bungalow on a city street. The many unopened boxes that were resident in our new garage have finally been opened, attesting to our somewhat successful attempt at downsizing. What you need and what you want to keep are always two very different things.


Out of necessity, driven by the state of our health, we have given up the view, the lake, the quiet and the space, both inside and outside the house. Marley, our English Springer Spaniel, has made the greatest sacrifice of us all. She has adapted very well to being on a leash after spending the last five years running free. It has become very apparent that all she desires on this earth is to be with us, wherever we are. Soon after moving day, Marley and I were delighted to find, almost at our door, a beautiful walking trail that follows the wooded banks of a nearby river.


Of late I have been much more consistent than I was in the past at praying as I walk. Inevitably, despite many and varied topics, I pray for each and every one of our grandchildren by name. I petition the God of the universe for general requests for all of them and specific requests for each of them. A few days ago, I was discussing with the Lord my dreams for their lives in the future and it dawned on me that some of them will eventually become parents and our great grandchildren will be born. I now include our great grandchildren and indeed our great great grandchildren in my prayer requests. Given my current health status, it is doubtful that I will live long enough to meet any of my great grandchildren. As a mere mortal, I can only imagine what they will look like or indeed what kind of lives they will have. I cannot know anything about them despite the fact that they are the result of a loving union blessed by God that began more than forty-three years ago. The Lord has no such limitation. In 2Peter 3:8 we read the very reassuring words:


8 ¶ But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.


The Lord Jesus is not trapped within the physical constraints of time as we are every minute of our lives. As I pray here in the present for our great grandchildren, the Lord can see them in real time in the future. He can see them as children or adults with children of their own. Indeed he may see and hear them at prayer at the same time as I pray. When I pray for future generations who carry our genetic signature, I am praying for actual persons who are being watched over by the sovereign God of the universe. It boggles the mind to think of the power of God. I have one never ending desire that I routinely express in prayer; that each of our grandchildren, great grandchildren and indeed all successive generations will do one thing. I pray for it daily. I pray that they will walk with God.


(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment