Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Friday, March 19, 2010

Australia Day

Yesterday my daughter and our grandson came to join us for dinner. Liam was diagnosed with a pervasive developmental disorder known as autism before he was two years old. His moderate autism affects his socialization and communication skills. The progress he has made in his first ten years of life is nothing short of amazing. As he becomes older, his frustration levels and the resulting behaviors continue to steadily improve and he simply emanates a zest and joy for life that we should all envy.

When he arrived for dinner, he asked us if “we were ready for it?” and then announced with great enthusiasm to Lozanne and I that it was Australia Day and that we would be celebrating this special day at dinner. Indeed he brought a cake and watched with obvious anticipation as his mother inscribed with a pink icing tube the words “Happy Australia Day”. He insisted throughout dinner that we should wish each other a happy Australia Day. Dinner conversation centered upon the special day we were celebrating and also Liam’s travel plans to the city in the spring of 2011. He told us of his plans to visit such exotic sites as Pizza Hut and Tom’s Aquarium, which I am assured actually exists. Liam spends a lot of time on the internet. As the cake was served, he gave us a rousing rendition of the song “Happy Australia Day” which included a tribute to dear Marley Dadoll. Marley is our English Springer Spaniel and Dadoll is a nickname for Lozanne because she always greeted our infant grandchildren with the exclamation of “What a doll!” Liam and his older brother now refer to us as Grandma and Grandpa Dadoll.

I must admit that Liam’s joy in the moment really affected my mood yesterday. I was not having a very good day, but his enthusiasm was quite simply infectious. He is a living example of the words found in Proverbs 17:22.

22 ¶ A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones.

The most sobering yet amusing discovery that I stumbled upon this morning has given me much pause. I was almost positive that Australia Day was a creation of Liam’s active imagination. I said nothing of the sort to him yesterday, but indeed I discounted the existence of such a day. Imagine my red face when I entered “Australia Day” into the Google search engine and came up with hundreds of references to an actual day celebrated by Australians. They celebrate their nationhood and their culture on January 26th each and every year. We were celebrating the day a little late, but our celebration was indeed real. That revelation brought to mind two verses that are also in Proverbs 17. The fool in this case is glad he held his peace.

27 ¶ He who has knowledge spares his words, And a man of understanding is of a calm spirit.

28 Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment