Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

How Can We Thank Him?

My grandson Liam has soared to new heights this year.  He has been so very much on his game of making sure all concerned are only too aware of his Christmas wish list.  For the last three months, he has used personal reminders, written notes, telephone calls and email to make sure Grandma and Grandpa know exactly what he wants for Christmas.  
Due to my advancing maturity, like so many others of my generation, I have done my best to learn computer skills in order to literally keep up with this world.  One of my weaknesses has been all aspects of video capturing, editing and saving. The other day I was trying to expand my horizons by simply rooting around in the Photo Booth software on my iMac.  There before me was a file entitled “My First Project”.  I knew that I had never used the software and had certainly not saved any such file on my computer.  There was Liam’s smiling face.  I clicked on his face and was treated to a 90 second clip of just what he wanted for Christmas.  I have no idea when he recorded the digital video on my computer and Liam had never mentioned the clip to me.  I am beginning to realize that wherever I go on my computer, my eleven year old grandson has been there before me. 
 I felt truly blessed. Liam’s diagnosis of moderate autism before he was two years of age had included a prognosis of limited speech and indeed the likelihood of a life bereft of any clear communication.  The ninety second video clip was an animated and expertly choreographed verbal masterpiece in which he clearly outlined his deep desire for Pokemon White, Pokemon Black (books) and a DVD including the original soundtrack of Disney’s “The Emperor’s New Groove”.  The delivery was spirited and downright entertaining with the use of many  pertinent gestures and intonations.  There was an introduction and a conclusion to his creation.  At eleven, Liam not only knows more about my computer than I do, he can read and write at grade level or better and best of all he can express himself on an impressive oral level.  I can only thank God for such unexpected blessings.
Other than just saying thank you in prayer, what is it that we mere mortals can do to properly show our gratitude for blessings allowed in our and the lives of our loved ones.  Admittedly there is not much we can do for an all powerful and all knowing God.  Psalm 116 does give us some insight in verses twelve to fourteen.
 12 What shall I render to the LORD For all His benefits toward me?
 13 I will take up the cup of salvation, And call upon the name of the LORD.
 14 I will pay my vows to the LORD Now in the presence of all His people. (Psalm 116: 12-14)
By taking up the cup of salvation, we determine in our minds to make Jesus our lord and our savior.  We admit our sinful and weak nature and submit fully to His taking all of our sin upon Himself and dying for our sake in order that we may spend eternity in heaven.  In short, we accept his offer of salvation by believing and following Him.  We call upon Him for all of our needs.  There is something else we can and should do within verse 14.  Just as Jesus paid His vows to God before and during His cruel death on the cross, so we should speak out and make our faith a public matter.  All those around us should know our stand and our submission.  To put it even more simply, they should know by our thoughts, words and actions that we are saved.  By doing so we are truly thanking God appropriately for His endless grace.
(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome.  My email link is contained in “About me:  view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account. All are welcome to follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall)

No comments:

Post a Comment