Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Grace Is Sufficient

This morning I have been indulging in just a little self-pity. In 2Corinthians 12, the Apostle Paul tells us that he has “a thorn in the flesh”. Because he had the opportunity to be transported up to heaven, the Lord had given him some affliction to constantly remind him of his human limitations. His thorn kept him humble and in need of the Lord. He asked the Lord three times to remove this never named affliction. It was not removed and as far as we know he carried it to the grave. Very few of us have thorns because we have seen heaven, although I do believe that a select few among us may have caught a glimpse of eternity. There are many other reasons to have a thorn.

I have a thorn. It is something that I never expected to happen to me. It is always with me and always makes its presence known. At times it can be very troublesome and at other times it can behave much better. On some nights it can cause sleep deprivation. It is extremely unpredictable and causes well laid plans to be reconsidered constantly. In many ways I am no longer in control because of this thorn. I spent my working life doing just that… being in control. It is interesting that the Lord should see the need to take away that control. My thorn is only as permanent as this life on this side of heaven. Like Paul I have asked for it to be removed or at least made more bearable. I have asked a lot more than the three times.

Paul never does tell us the exact nature of his thorn. There are many unproven theories that scholars have put forward. Since he says it was a thorn in the flesh, it is probable that it was a chronic physical condition. Eye problems, ear aches, migraines, malaria and even a speech impediment have been theorized. A speech impediment given to such a famous preacher of the gospel is an interesting thought. It would indeed produce humility. There is a very good reason that Paul does not tell us the exact nature of his affliction. He wanted us to fill in the blank with our own thorn. For the same reason I am not going to disclose the exact nature of my thorn. If you don’t currently have a thorn, I can assure that at some time in your Christian life you will. It may be permanent or it may be temporary, but you will experience a thorn. I just love the answer that Jesus gives to Paul when he asks for relief. (2Corinthians 12: 9)

9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Grace is the infinite undeserved mercy, love and forgiveness as offered to us by God. Jesus does not say that because Paul has asked for help, He will increase the grace offered to Paul, but that it is always sufficient for our purposes. As our weakness increases, His strength is not only increased but actually made perfect. The weaker we become because of a thorn, the more we must turn to Jesus. The more we turn to Jesus the more His strength increases within us.

Paul could actually boast in his infirmities because they brought upon him the power of Christ. I must admit, in all honesty, that I am at the acceptance stage moving ever so slowly to boastfulness.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment