Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Monday, October 5, 2009

His Eye Is On The Sparrow

Regular readers may be aware that I have missed a two day cycle in blog writing. For the first time since July 1st, illness kept me from being able to think clearly enough to create. As my condition improved and the pain subsided, I decided that a little self-pity was in order. I was indulging in that self-pity until my enjoyment was interrupted.

Early this morning, as Lozanne walked by the living room windows, she was startled by a bird flying into the glass. She called my attention to it as she felt so sorry for the poor thing. I came to the window as did our dog Marley to see a sparrow that appeared to be dead lying on its back on the deck. A closer look revealed a quickly moving chest. I thought it would be expired in a few seconds. I contemplated how I could help put it out of its misery, not a prospect I looked forward to, and said a short prayer. I prayed for the bird, but really I was praying that I would not have to intervene in this situation. I did what can be very wise at times…nothing. In a few minutes, I noticed that it had rolled over onto its stomach. In another twenty minutes, our friend was standing weakly on its feet and very nervous about observing the tail wagging but strangely quiet Marley on the other side of the glass. My next trip by the window revealed that the bird was evidently asleep on its feet. I thought that perhaps the end was near. On my next walk by the window the sparrow was gone. It had recovered on the safety of the gated deck and left of its own accord.

Later this morning the words and the melody of the hymn “His Eye is on the Sparrow” started to run through my mind. The 1905 lyrics were written by Civilla Martin in response to a woman, who had been bedridden for twenty years, describing her obvious joy and happiness despite a very difficult life. The woman was the inspiration for the words in the refrain that are “His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me”. Indeed the words are a direct quote of a very simple answer to the question, “How do you cope with so much suffering?” The answer is also a reference to the words of Jesus in Matthew 10: 29-31.

29 "Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.
30 "But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 "Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Like everyone who believes, there are times that I feel abandoned by God. There are also times when I feel His hand directly upon me with crystal clear communication. I watched a sparrow actually fallen “to the ground” this morning and then watched the hand of God revive the poor unfortunate. If God can keep His eye upon that sparrow, how carefully He must be watching out for you and me!

The last verse of the hymn tells it all.

"Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me."

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment