Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sower of the Seed

I have realized on this very early morning that I am about to write blog number 59. Almost three months of messages are posted to this my blog site. My aim has been simple. I have tried to scatter the word of God into the virtual wind with each message. My first objective in doing so has been to bring reminders, confirmations and comfort to the Christians who may read my work. My second objective and the one that I pray about the most is to provide the Word of God to those who may be searching for spiritual truth and an eventual relationship with their Saviour and their God. Jesus referred to the Word of God as seed. In three of the gospels, he tells the parable of the sower of the seed. It is my hope and prayer that I have become just that…a sower of the seed. I have no idea where the seed will land, but I must keep scattering it abroad.

Jesus tells us the parable of the sower of the seed in Mark 4: 3- 8.

3 "Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow.
4 "And it happened, as he sowed, that some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds of the air came and devoured it.
5 "Some fell on stony ground, where it did not have much earth; and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth.
6 "But when the sun was up it was scorched, and because it had no root it withered away.
7 "And some seed fell among thorns; and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no crop.
8 "But other seed fell on good ground and yielded a crop that sprang up, increased and produced: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred."

This is one of the few of the many parables told by Jesus that He later explains to his disciples. We have the privilege of understanding this parable through Jesus Himself.

The sower goes out to spread the Word of God. Some of that seed falls by the wayside. Those who are on the wayside are those who don’t really wish to hear the Word. Because they have already refused to hear it, the devil comes and immediately takes away any retention or understanding that may lead to them being saved. Those on the wayside are of course in the majority. Most simply reject the Word of God and don’t even seem to be the least bit concerned about that rejection. The seed falling on stony ground represents those who hear the Word and receive it initially with joy, but their belief takes no root. They may believe for a short while, but soon a time of temptation or trial will draw them away. The seed falling on thorny ground speaks to those who have heard the word and embraced it, but the cares, temptations and pleasures of life prevent the seed from growing to maturity. The seed that falls on good ground is that which is embraced by those who truly want it and accept it. With patience they grow in faith and indeed spread the seed to others so that they may grow in their belief and be saved.

As I cast forth seed this morning, I pray that receptive hearts are reading my message. I pray that my seed cast into the wind will indeed land on good ground. I was one of those on the wayside for nearly half a century. My receptive heart actually grew from a willingness to hear, study and test the Word for a period that extended over three years. I pray that others will do the same.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment