Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

He is in Control

As regular readers will be aware, Lozanne and I returned last week from a three year check up with my out of town oncologist. I was surprised by the thoroughness of the process. This wasn’t a cursory look at laboratory results. The clinic time was longer than usual and the planning of monitoring into the next two years was extensive. I had hoped to be dismissed from three month blood work and six month visits. That did not happen. The very good news is that, by all indications, I am cancer free. I have the Great Physician to thank for what three years ago would have been an admittedly unexpected diagnosis and prognosis.

Our trip was not entirely uneventful. Just a few kilometres from home, we were hit by a large stone thrown from the tires of an eighteen wheeler. It was still dark and we did not see the stone that sounded more like a boulder when it hit the windshield. It was disconcerting to say the least. It took me a good ten seconds to realize what had happened. The sound of the rock hitting our car was as loud as a gun shot. The force of the blow was so violent that there were actually small pieces of glass on the dashboard. The windshield was miraculously still intact, but there were two splits from side to side and top to bottom. The stone hit on the passenger side of the windshield where Lozanne was sitting. She could actually feel the force of the blow and I suspect some flying small pieces of glass. She was completely unhurt, but shaken up, as I was. Again we have our God to thank that the worst outcome was the expense of a new windshield installed three days after the mishap.

As we drove towards home, I thought a great deal about how the Lord is in control. He directs the hands of the physician in effecting a cure. He directs the trajectory of a flying rock so that it will be a glancing blow. He is in control of every facet of our lives and for that fact I am most thankful.

My thoughts turned to being able to recommence the writing of my messages for this space. I recognized then and there another example of how the Lord is in control. We read this fact in Isaiah 55: 10-11.

10 "For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, And do not return there, But water the earth, And make it bring forth and bud, That it may give seed to the sower And bread to the eater,
11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

In publishing the Word of God, I really have come to believe that the Lord has allowed me to serve him despite my disabilities in the last year or so. I haven’t until recently been able to go out and speak His Word. Despite that fact, he gave me a laptop, a satellite internet connection and the time to sow His seeds with my devotional blogs. The deal that I have with the Lord is really simple. I cast forth His Word into the virtual world of the internet and He makes sure that these same words that I publish, His words not mine, do the work that he intends for them. As it says above, these words do not return to Him void. They accomplish what he pleases and prosper in the things for which He has sent them.

How thankful I am that He is in control.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

2 comments:

  1. He's got it all in control, but often we try to do the controlling. Let our prayer be that by His Spirit we relinquish the control. Reminds me of a chorus we sang as part of the youth group in the mid-70's.

    I was sitting in the front seat,
    Trying really hard to be the driver.
    Thinking I was making real good time,
    But always ending up the late arriver.
    But now I've been trying out the back seat,
    And I find it is a very great relief,
    Now I am sitting in the back seat, and
    I am leaving all the driving to the chief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. You have an exceptional memory for what is important to remember.

    ReplyDelete