Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Thursday, November 12, 2009

What the Locusts Have Eaten

Next week I have a follow up appointment with my oncologist. Normally I dread these appointments. The required laboratory tests are completed three weeks prior to the event and for three years I have waited for the much expected frown followed by the blunt truth. Oncologists, I am sure, take extra hours in medical school studying “The Blunt Truth 101”. They can very objectively, because of much practice, I am certain, tell you very directly what you would rather not hear. This visit is different. For the first time in this battle, I am beginning to feel much better. The temporary damages done by aggressive treatments seem to be abating. My immunity and energy level are much improved in the last month or so. The permanent damages done are simply being accepted over time. My motto is now “Get over it!”

Several years ago when I was feeling particularly vulnerable to what has been termed “the plague of the 20th Century”, I remember looking in the mirror as Lozanne and I were going out for coffee and saying, “Why is my father going out for coffee today”? Without skipping a beat, Lozanne looked in the mirror beside me and declared, “What is more disturbing is that my mother is going out with him!” There is no doubt that being sick or caring for someone who is ill can make you look old. While I was in the hospital three years ago, the lady who rents out television sets to patients came into my hospital room and said to Lozanne, “Does your Dad want to rent a T.V.? Despite my weak protests from amidst the various beeping machines and tubes entering and exiting my body from the strangest of places about our relative closeness in age, all Lozanne could do was find the situation uproariously funny. I must admit that now I can find the situation just somewhat amusing.

Our battle with cancer has spanned a period of five years. The intense fighting has been for the last three years. As I am better able to cope with life and indeed work and play hard outside, I am beginning to appreciate so much what the Lord has done for us. I have always been assured of heaven throughout the ordeal. I can’t even begin to recite the lessons learned through adversity and I can’t thank Him enough for improved health and vigour. One of my favourite Bible verses comes to mind. It is a very simple thought and for a believer it is a promise that you can count on!

25 "So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten,…(Joel 2: 25)

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment