Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Friday, December 18, 2009

In The Beginning

1 ¶ The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." (Psalm 14:1)

Yesterday I read an interview with Richard Dawkins in a magazine that I idly picked up while waiting for Lozanne at an appointment. Richard Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist who has become the world’s most prominent atheist. His last two best selling books are titled “The Greatest Show on Earth—The Evidence for Evolution” and “The God Delusion”. Mr. Dawkins has made a very lucrative career of furthering the tenets of evolutionary theory and atheism. While doing so, he takes the time to bash the beliefs of “creationists” and “religionists”. In one of his recent articles he placed creationists on a level with Holocaust deniers. The comment did not earn him much popularity in the United States of America where forty-four percent of the population claims to believe that God created the world. Interestingly, his books are advertised to be best sellers in Britain, Canada, Ireland and Australia with the U.S.A. not being mentioned.

After reading the interview, I was left with one impression. Richard Dawkins is a religious man. His religion is atheism. He believes that there is no God. His beliefs are as fervent and real to him as my beliefs are to me. Indeed, he reaches many more souls and convinces many more than my evangelism will ever achieve. He writes best selling books and articles and is invited to many speaking engagements and debates. He is often interviewed by the media. His passion is to discredit not only creationists, but even those who profess to believe in any kind of a higher power. I have just come back from the official Richard Dawkins website. I was interested to read that one of the debates that he had attended had been entitled, “Atheism the New Fundamentalism”. The website could have been that of any televangelist. It advertised his books and related articles for sale. There is even a Richard Dawkins Foundation which is encouraging donations so that the “truth” can be spread. There are fundraising events and conference advertisements seeking registrants. There is a forum for his supporters to leave their comments which are, surprise, surprise, very much in support of his work. Richard Dawkins is a religious man. He is determined to convert as many souls as he can to believing in nothing. I can’t imagine a more empty and hopeless existence. I am much happier contemplating the words of Psalm 42: 1-2.

1 ¶ As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for You, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment