Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Heaven

Each morning Lozanne and I enjoy a devotional time. Lately we have been very regular in our attempts to make time for the Lord. Several days ago the reading we experienced before praying was Revelation 21: 1-4. The Apostle John describes his vision that is clearly, in my mind at least, that of heaven.

1 ¶ I saw Heaven and earth new-created. Gone the first Heaven, gone the first earth, gone the sea.

2 I saw Holy Jerusalem, new-created, descending resplendent out of Heaven, as ready for God as a bride for her husband.

3 I heard a voice thunder from the Throne: "Look! Look! God has moved into the neighborhood, making his home with men and women! They’re his people, he’s their God.

4 He’ll wipe every tear from their eyes. Death is gone for good—tears gone, crying gone, pain gone—all the first order of things gone."

I have thought about heaven a great deal in the last few years. The Bible tells us some things about the Kingdom of Heaven, but many details are simply waiting for our discovery as we enter in to what has to be beyond our wildest imagination. Isaiah 64:4 is quoted in 1 Corinthians 2:9 telling us that we can’t even begin to imagine what God has in store for us. I am aware that some commentators don’t see this verse as a reference to heaven. I disagree.

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Have you ever just let your imagination take over and attempted to visualize the splendour of heaven? Not everything I look forward to can be proven by the Bible, but I can still look forward to it nevertheless. Verse 4 in Revelation 21 gives us a really good start. There will be no death, no pain and definitely no tears. I imagine being bathed in beautiful and pure light. I believe that we will have brand new glorified bodies with all the missing and defective parts replaced. No matter at what point in life you entered heaven, you will be in the prime of life for eternity. I suspect that the prime of life will be thirty-three years of age, the age that our saviour rose into heaven. I believe that we will know and speak to loved ones gone before us. Relationships like marriage will be different but acknowledged and remembered. I believe that we will be put to work in heaven. Our individual talents will be exercised for the glory of God in a stress free environment forever. We are told of many mansions being prepared for us by Jesus. I look forward to the type of home that I will enjoy for eternity. I don’t think it outrageous to suppose that favourite pets may join us in heaven.

It occurs to me that I may have placed too many human expectations within my visualization. Heaven may be completely different than my musings, but I am sure of one thing. It will be fantastic! Peace and love will reign. Most of all I look forward to speaking to and being with my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ for all of eternity.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment