Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Friday, September 11, 2009

He Heals All

I am ill this morning. I have picked up what I hope is a minor cold now that the other flu like symptoms, which do not merit further description, seem to have passed. On Sunday we attended chapel as well as a family dinner in the evening. My immune system continues to let me down. Moving in public circles often results in a disease of some description. I wonder what measures we will have to take should the H1N1 influenza pandemic gain strength this fall. I fall within the pre-existing medical conditions risk category, but on the good news side, I was born before the 1957 flu pandemic. Indeed I was sick for a month in 1957 and as a result may not be susceptible to this very similar strain that is also called the swine flu. This morning I have been meditating on the first five verses of Psalm 103.

1 ¶ A Psalm of David. Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits:
3 Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,
4 Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
5 Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

There indeed are some very real benefits in return for our faith. We are forgiven our sins. We are redeemed from an eternity shut out of heaven. We experience the Lord’s loving kindness and His mercies. He restores our youth spiritually as well as physically. Finally, He heals all of our diseases.

I used to puzzle over this line. We all know that no matter how many times the Lord heals our illnesses or injuries that there will indeed be a final illness that will cause our death. How then could the Bible tell us that all diseases are healed? I finally understand. Even the last and final disease is healed, and very quickly indeed, at the point of death. As we pass from this world to the next, the cure will be instant and miraculous! As a believer, I am absolutely assured an eternity in heaven with God and His Son. The Lord has already cured me of many diseases but that final cure will be the most instant, effective and merciful of all.

Indeed the Lord heals all of our diseases.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment