Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Success Is Not Ballet

A few days ago, Lozanne was expressing her regret that she had never properly pursued one of her childhood dreams. Although I knew the answer, I asked what that was. She has always been interested in ballet. She had taken lessons from a Mrs. Lewis for three or four years when she was a young child. When Mrs. Lewis was unable to continue her classes at the Oddfellows Hall for reasons long forgotten, Lozanne simply no longer went to ballet. To this day, she watches ballet dancers on television with interest and acknowledges that she regrets that she did not recommence her studies as she grew older. We all have a similar regret or regrets.

Without giving it a lot of thought, I said to her that success in life is not ballet. It is salvation. She turned to me like I had said something profound and acknowledged that I was indeed right. Any glowing achievement that we can boast about grows pale in the face of our claim to salvation. Worldly successes are great, but they are very short lived. The memory of what we have done in terms of success on this earth is very short even while we are still alive. The memory of our acceptance of Jesus as our Lord and Master lasts forever in eternity. The prophet Jeremiah directly tells us the words of God Himself in Jeremiah 9:23-24


23 ¶ Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, Let not the mighty man glory in his might, Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
24 But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I am the LORD, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the LORD.

There is nothing wrong with hard work and success on this earth, but understanding and knowing Him will always be our crowning achievement. It is the measure by which all other successes are measured against. Jesus, who is also God, said it even more succinctly in Mark 8:36

36 "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?

There is clearly only one achievement that counts and that is believing and obeying Jesus. That is where the real reward resides. I am so thankful that both Lozanne and I can claim that success.

Having said that, I have to acknowledge she must have been a very cute ballerina.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment