Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Thursday, September 17, 2009

His Everlasting Strength

There are days when I simply must let go and acknowledge the power of God. Although I know I should do it daily, I am prepared on those days to completely submit to His strength. Today is one of those days.

On the radio this morning, I listened to a news story related to the threat of the H1N1 Pandemic. I prayed out loud as I drove the car, “Oh Lord, please give me strength”. In Winnipeg, First Nations leaders and elders were returning to Health Canada, a trusted ministry within our federal government bureaucracy, two hundred body bags sent to them as part of packages to help the First Nations communities prepare for the possible advent of an influenza outbreak. The packages consisted of mostly preventive measures such as face masks, gloves and hand sterilizers to help prevent the spread of the swine flu. The aboriginal leaders were outraged by the inclusion of two hundred body bags. They were outraged and I was also dumbfounded as I listened. How any human logic could coldly and objectively consider body bags as initially preventive is completely and utterly beyond me. One of the elders who was present for the ceremonial return of the body bags made what I considered a very telling statement. He said that when the Creator deemed you should prepare to leave this world, then it was time to do so. He intimated of course that health Canada’s job was to help in the battle against disease and not waste time, money and resources on such a defeatist fatalistic endeavour. I do fully understand that body bags can be a preventive measure in a full blown pandemic. Their delivery; however, wherever needed in any community, urban or rural, could be better accommodated at the time of extreme need. Body bags stored in the Health Canada warehouse to be sent out as needed was the simple answer. The world’s “wisdom” can often bring about such well deserved outrage. The wisdom and strength of God, on the other hand, is unshakeable and unchangeable. It is solid as the rock mentioned in Psalm 18: 1-2.

1 ¶ To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David the servant of the LORD, who spoke to the LORD the words of this song on the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. And he said: I will love You, O LORD, my strength.
2 The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Augustus Toplady who was the author of the words to the very famous hymn “Rock of Ages” is reported to have penned these very well known words while taking shelter from a severe thunderstorm. He sought protection from the storm hunkered between two giant towers of limestone. It is possible that he had the second verse of Psalm 18 in mind. I often wonder; however, if the words of Isaiah 26: 3-4 weren’t the basis of his memorable words.

3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

Most translations of the Bible have a note attached to the words “everlasting strength” that reads “or Rock of Ages”. Whatever his biblical motivation, it is evident that the unavoidable immediacy of the violent storm guided his hand. It is said that he wrote the original words on a playing card.

“Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.”

When life gets confusing and difficult, it is a personal comfort for me to realize that He will allow, indeed, invite me to hide myself in Him. He offers His everlasting strength in direct contrast to the “wisdom of this world”. This morning I sought the strength of “my rock”.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment