Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Monday, January 25, 2010

All Things Work Together

As I sit here in the very early morning, I reflect upon the fact that as of midnight, I turned sixty-two years of age. I truly did not think for several years that I would ever be 62. Only the most loyal of readers will have noticed that I have missed a two day writing cycle. There is an explanation (not an excuse) for the lapse that I only realized myself last evening. I started to use sleep medication in order to improve the quality of life for both Lozanne and myself. Indeed I slept much better for several nights, but I found myself getting up much later in the day with a fuzzy and not a little depressed mind incapable of writing a word. In order to sleep better, I was giving up on prime contact time with the Lord. Last night I did not take the little blue pill and here I am at the keyboard feeling like I can think and pray again. It finally occurs to me that my chronic sleeplessness is a positive and not a negative aspect of my life after cancer treatment. Sometimes our all too human reasoning powers just simply fall short of the reality that God has created for us. Lozanne reminded me yesterday of the comforting words in Romans 8: 28-31.

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
29 ¶ For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.
31 ¶ What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

Our little human minds have trouble with the concept that, if we are believers, everything that happens to us will turn to good. Until this morning, I thought that my inability to sleep past the very early morning hours was a very negative aspect of my life. As it turns out, it was a positive that I missed immediately as soon the “problem” was cured by medication. Obviously, I didn’t need the sleep as much as I needed to pray and write to the Lord. This early morning Lozanne and I have been praying constantly for the desperately ill daughter of a Christian brother and sister. “If God is for us, who can be against us?”

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment