Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Many Mansions

Lozanne and I have lived in nine different residences. Five were rental properties and four were houses that we purchased. Several of the rental properties were very basic, but suited our needs well in our youth. As I look out over the lake this very cold morning, I realize that our last home to date is our favourite. It is not because our current home in the country is so much more luxurious, but it does seem to suit us better for our age and stage. The quiet and the country setting accentuate the comfort of the place. Plainly stated, it is a very comfortable house in which to live. We have realized over the last decade that we actually own nothing in this world. Our current home is on loan from the Lord. There is not one resource that we enjoy on this earth that He has not created and allowed for us. The day will come of course when we will no longer require an earthly residence. Despite the fact, like everyone else, that I am in no hurry to return the property to my Lord, I do look forward to that promised heavenly home. We don’t know a lot about heaven, but I am very much excited by what Jesus tells us in John 14: 1-6.

1 ¶ "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
2 "In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.
4 ¶ "And where I go you know, and the way you know."
5 Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?"
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Did the word “mansions” catch your eye? The word “mansions” is used once in the Bible and it is in this verse. We are assured that there are not a few mansions available, but that there are many. We are also assured that Jesus has gone to prepare our place for us. As much as we have enjoyed or not enjoyed our earthly homes, just what is in store for us? I am fairly sure that I have never lived in a mansion and the likelihood of moving to one any time soon is rather remote. Will the mansions suit our tastes as developed here in our worldly existence? I can’t even speculate, but I do know that it will be indeed spectacular!

As believers in God and Jesus, we are assured our heavenly residence. Verse six tells us the only way to get to the Father and the Father is in heaven. Jesus doesn’t just demonstrate a good example of truth, He IS the truth. He is the only way that we can come to the Father. He is “the way, the truth and the life”. The way to heaven is not through church attendance, our willingness to tithe, our obeying the rules and least of all through our good works. The only way is the acceptance of Jesus as our personal saviour. He and only He is the way. Have you reserved your heavenly mansion yet?

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment