Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I'm Confused

A recent newspaper article introduced me to comic author Ariane Sherine. She is a public and avowed atheist and has just written a book to help atheists grapple with the thorny issue of celebrating Christmas or not. Since atheists do not believe in God and indeed Christmas celebrates the first coming of Jesus to earth, I would think that the decision would be a very simple one. Strangely, most atheists still celebrate the Christmas season. Ariane Sherine is the originator of the bus advertisement campaign that started in London and spread to other cities around the world including Toronto, Calgary and Ottawa. Large signs are bought and paid for by groups of atheists, I can only assume. They read “There is probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.” Like Christians, evidently atheists can be lukewarm in their faith. I am greatly entertained by the word “probably”. Are they just being careful? Are they avoiding the much feared lightening bolt? Is there room for doubt? They fund the signs, but stop short of getting their message out there in a clear concise manner.

The second sentence is “Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.” This is where I become very confused. If there is no God, then this is all there is. There is only the random here and now and there will be only the blackness of death that will end the here and now. This is exactly the opposite argument of the very basics I grappled with in 1996. Before I became saved, I spent years searching for something beyond “is this all there is?” What a depressing theory to accept. If I accept the idea that there is indeed no God, THEN I shall start to worry. How can one enjoy a life that is short, hard and ends in the finality of death? How can one give up the comfort of the scriptures and of prayer? God is very real to me. If I don’t have Him in my life, then I am very worried and not enjoying my life. I will join Jesus in heaven for eternity. How can that be worrying? I suspect that the line implies that if you don’t believe in God, you can stop worrying about being “good” and pleasing God. They have completely missed the point. It is impossible for me to be “good” in any case. Am I not better off with a forgiving God who loves me despite my many and constant shortcomings? How could I enjoy my life more than I do now under the conviction and direction of a loving God who forgives all of the nonsense that I continually churn up in my very human existence?

Psalm 46 is a great antidote to the nonsensical signs on our buses. I have become very still and I know that He is God! Atheists should be the worried ones!

1 ¶ To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of the sons of Korah. A Song for Alamoth. God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 Though its waters roar and be troubled, Though the mountains shake with its swelling. Selah
4 There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God, The holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High.
5 God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, just at the break of dawn.
6 ¶ The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted.
7 The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah
8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, Who has made desolations in the earth.
9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariot in the fire.
10 Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
11 The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment