Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

CEA

Two weeks ago I went for my regular three month blood test. There is one number that gets my attention and that of my oncologist. One test is called, in order to simplify I am sure, CEA, which stands for carcinoembryonic antigen. It looks for the quantity of a protein in the blood that is normally present during fetal development. It is a key to causing cell adhesion in the developing baby. Since the production of this antigen stops before birth, it should not be found in the blood of healthy adults. It has been known since the sixties that it appears in the blood of those who have colorectal cancer. In the follow up period after treatment, it can be an indicator of metastasis of the cancer to other parts of the body. The test is used in other types of cancer and oddly heavy smokers will show raised levels as well. I have taken this test every three months since 2006. Each and every one of those more than twelve times causes anxiety in this patient.

Like most cancer related testing, it takes two weeks to process and come up with a number. I am very aware of my average which has been consistently low. Despite that, I continue to dread the third week following testing. That is when I learn the number and breathe a sigh of relief. Human nature causes us, at least it causes me, I am sure, to wonder each and every time if this is the test that will suggest that the cancer has spread. As a Bible believing Christian, I wonder when I will finally submit and simply trust and obey. This morning I sought some comfort in the Bible and found myself in the Book of Isaiah. I have read this verse several times before, but a very stark truth rose up from the print this morning. In Isaiah 26:3 I read:


3 You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, Because he trusts in You.

I am reminded by the Lord that there is a something that I have to do in order to find peace. My mind must stay on Him. In doing so, I exercise and demonstrate my faith and my trust. I realized today that when I do indeed stay within His Word and stay in prayer then the promised peace becomes perfect. It is then and only then that I can relax and leave it to Him.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment