Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Monday, February 22, 2010

Me and My House

On the wall of our rustic dining room is a sign of great historical significance. On the sign are the burnished words “Bummers’ Roost”. Hanging just below that sign hangs another which reads “The Halls”. The signs are large and the varnish shows signs of some outdoor duty. These prized pieces of heavy wood were inherited from my parents who hung them outside of their several recreational vehicles as they camped in many campgrounds. They were a gift from my sister and her husband who had them custom made by a craftsman from Victoria, British Columbia. One glance at these two signs reminds me of my parents full of life and vitality many years ago. The signs hung outside of my youngest son’s cottage for a year or so until they were put up inside our country home.

The significance of the term “Bummer’s Roost” is one that could get lost in the mists of time. My paternal grandfather often told stories of lumbering at the beginning of the twentieth century. As a very young man, he spent several winters in various bush camps in and around South River, Ontario. Somewhere deep in the bush was a hotel frequented almost exclusively by these rough and tough bush workers. He loved to recall some of the colourful anecdotes that may indeed have been half legend and half truth about this almost surreal location called “The Bummers’ Roost”. It was apparently a lively spot frequented by young and strong men. By the very definition of the word bummer, some of the patrons were plainly loafers and dawdlers. My parents made the name live on after my grandfather’s passing by acquiring the signs now in our house. As I age myself, I am struck with the richness of the memories of those gone before us. I marvel at thinking of them when they were much younger than I presently am.

I believe it to be very important to carry on family traditions within our home. The signs are a constant reminder of my parents, my grandparents and their lives. Of much greater importance to me; however, is a decision made and kept in this house. Joshua, the faithful warrior who took over from Moses and led the chosen people into the land of Canaan, knew the importance of this decision and stated it very clearly in Joshua 25:15.

15 ¶ "And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Joshua in a very concise statement summarizes a choice we all have to make. There is no alternative other than making one clear choice. You simply believe and accept the lordship of our saviour or you do not. There is no middle ground. You serve and worship Him or you don’t. God Himself has left that choice to us. After many years of trying to avoid the decision, Lozanne and I made the all important choice. There is no looking back. There are no regrets. We look forward to the glory of heaven.

There is another sign in our home. It resides at the front door and it was made for us by a wonderful Christian woman who now resides in heaven. That sign states clearly, “But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD”.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment