Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Our Refuge and Strength

This morning I find myself wondering about global warming. I really don’t know where to point the finger and get it all fixed, but I do know ultimately Who is in control. I have observed lately some different behaviour in nature. We have had, so far, a very mild winter with not a lot of snow. Several days ago, I found tracks made by a very large moose close to our home. I can’t recall seeing such mobile moose in the winter before. As I was looking at the huge tracks in the snow and enjoying Marley’s olfactory delight in finding them, a very large bird caught my attention. The largest eagle I have ever seen in eastern Canada was hovering in the wind about a hundred feet above us. The wing span must have been six feet or more. I suspect that this noble creature was actually contemplating a run at Marley, but realized that her fifty pound weight would be impossible to manage. I am glad that I did not have a small lap dog outside instead of the medium sized Marley. What a magnificent predatory creature that eagle was. I would suspect the warmer weather has made hunting easy and thus the size of that full grown adult bird. Near our home, Marley has found multiple field mice actually burrowing in the snow. I have never seen this behaviour before. Usually field mice look for much more protection against the elements. Unfortunately for them, Marley has found a new sport in hunting them down. Although she does not eat them, they do not survive her enthusiastic greetings.

The fourth observation is something I have never in my life experienced. We have ants in the basement. It is February and we have ants! I normally do battle with ants twice per year, once in May and once in July. It is just considered a normal natural phenomenon when you choose to live in the country. For about a week, I put out multiple ant traps, pour powdered soap into outside ant hills and place an ant repellent around the foundation of the house. Eventually I win, or at least the ants make me think so, but it would appear that my only weapon during the winter months will be ant traps. I suspect my favourite hardware store staff may look at me a little strangely when I attempt to purchase some. The only logical explanation I can think of for the appearance of ants in February is that the frost has not gone down very deep into the soil.

Whatever the cause, we have had a very mild winter. All of nature seems to be reacting differently to the conditions. Although so far the consequences of so called global warming have not been widely catastrophic, with the exception of a few very mean hurricanes, the natural world is upset. I wonder what changes my grandchildren will experience. I wonder if those changes will be catastrophic. That contemplation of the future this morning has taken me to Psalm 46: 1-3. I have quoted from Psalm 46 in past blogs and I suspect it will appear again in my writing.

1 ¶ To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

Despite the troubles brought on by our mismanagement of the God’s resources, ultimately we know Who is in charge. I see the power of God in all of them, the moose, the eagle, the mice and the ants. I can simply observe and know that He is in control and indeed I can rejoice in that fact. The final two verses of Psalm 46 sum up that rejoicing much better than I can.

10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment