Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Born Again

My maternal grandfather left to me the words “universal necessity” and “imperative necessity” penned in his Bible in John Chapter 3. The words written in red ink eight decades in the past highlight the necessity as outlined by Jesus himself to be born again. What did Jesus mean by saying that in order to see the kingdom of God, we must be born again? How do we become born again?

In order to illustrate in human terms the process, and it is a process, I would like to tell you the story of Frank. When I was in the hospital three years ago undergoing two major surgeries, Frank was a patient down the hallway of the surgical floor. I was in his room for one night until I was moved to a private room. One day I woke up to see Lozanne, the beloved wife of my youth, running into my room, picking up a book of comfort readings from the Bible that someone had given me as a gift, and running out again. She presented the book to Frank and his wife. Much to her pleasure they expressed interest and began to read the book regularly together at Frank’s bedside. Being a bold and personable evangelist, she followed up with the loan a Bible, which they willingly accepted.

Frank was in his late sixties and not a well man. He continued over that year to drift in and out of the hospital. When I was out of the hospital and in town, I tried to visit him when I was in our local hospital for tests or chemotherapy sessions. We were delighted when he and his wife were able to visit us in our country home on a sunny summer afternoon. He accepted the Lord as his saviour on Oct. 31, 2006. Most of us refer to that experience with expressions like, I am now saved” or “I settled out of court.” or “I am now born again”.

Frank, however, kept saying, “I signed on the dotted line”. I found it most interesting that he regarded his salvation as a contract with God. I went home that day and actually drafted a Memorandum of Agreement, a document that I had drafted many times in my former working life. The next day, November 1, 2006, Frank signed on the dotted line on that document. Indeed it hangs in front of me at my desk as I write today. That signature makes me smile.

Space prevents me from publishing the whole document, but I have presented below the core of the articles that Frank joyfully signed.

1. I believe I am a sinner.
2. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died on a Roman Cross for the forgiveness of my sins and rose again from death to sit at the right hand of the Father for all of Eternity.
3. I acknowledge my need for a saviour and the forgiveness of my sins
4. I accept Jesus as my personal and eternal saviour.

Frank passed away in February of 2007. Despite feelings of grief for his loss and great sympathy for this wife, I was happy for him. He was a very sick man and his quality of life, which I have experienced for only a short period of time, was not good and I know where he went. He didn’t have the chance to exercise his faith or to grow, but he is there in heaven just the same. We all think we can plan our time of going into eternity. Only some of us have a chance to consider our position before we die. Frank was given that opportunity by the Lord Himself.

Frank gained much comfort from the Holy Spirit for the few remaining months of his life. When he signed that document he also confirmed the first line of his contract with the God of the universe.

“Having acknowledged the following, Frank has attained the rewards and privileges of Heaven for all of eternity”.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

1 comment:

  1. What a great story, thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete