Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Redeemer Lives

This morning as I walked with our English Springer Spaniel to get the newspaper in our rural mailbox, my mind turned to my favourite verses in the Bible.

These three verses became especially meaningful to me after major surgery for colorectal cancer 3 years ago. I read them many times during my long recovery. I still find myself at Job:25-27. Necessary alterations to my body were made in order to save my life. I try my best to accept these permanent changes with fortitude and good humour. I feel much better; however, when I realize that these alterations are indeed not permanent. They are as temporary as my remaining years on this earth. Job gives me this assurance.

25 For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth;
26 And after my skin is destroyed, this I know, That in my flesh I shall see God,
27 Whom I shall see for myself, And my eyes shall behold, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!

The Book of Job is thought to be the oldest scripture in the Holy Bible. It is the story of a godly man who was not Jewish and who suffered great adversity. It is the classic tale of why and how bad things happen to good people. Despite great suffering and much prodding by others, Job never doubted the goodness of the will of God.

Imagine that! The very first manuscript of the Bible speaks directly of my Jesus. My Redeemer is my Jesus. There He is described so clearly so long ago by a Gentile who understood very clearly the power and glory of God. Job tells us that he knows that Jesus lives approximately two thousand years before Jesus Christ was born. He also informs us that Jesus will return to this earth to gather in His flock. After Job dies, he will see God (Jesus) and the wonderful thing about the sighting is that he will see God “in his flesh”. Job will be granted a new “flesh” to replace the old one.

Job will be given, after his death, a new body…a glorified body. We really don’t know the exact form of this body, but we know that it will be perfect and without flaw. It will not be limited by old age, illness or indeed previous surgical alternations made of necessity in our lifetime on this earth.

“How my heart yearns within me!”…

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dad
    All I can say is WOW - I am going to find each of your blogs very encouraging as is everyone else who reads them - not doubting the goodness of the will of God - we talk so much about not doubting His goodness but it is also very important to not doubt the goodness of His will. Also, Job's yearning to see his Redeemer - Christians should all have that yearning heart for Jesus. Love Tam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great and inspiring blog. Thank you for that and God bless you for having the courage to speak about your struggles and associate them with the Word of God. How wonderful is He to have the power to make us new again when we one day see Him in His kingdom! Love Melissa & Jeremy

    ReplyDelete