Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Power of Creation

I have been granted, by the Lord, opportunities during any given night and early morning to pray, think, write or even make natural observations. Very early this morning I was outside in our screen room on the lakeside of the house. I heard the beautiful and sometimes eerie calls of two loons in the bay in front of our house. Loons are some of the few creatures on this earth who mate for life. Except for switching mates after failed nesting attempts, they are generally monogamous for the fifteen to thirty years of their lifespan. I often wonder just what they are communicating with their distinctive male and female conversations. Are they directing each other to where the food is more plentiful? Are they professing their love for each other? Is she demanding that he finally come home and pay more attention to her? Is he wondering just where she is tonight? When you see these birds up close in the daylight they are indeed much larger than you would expect and rather majestic as they lift their head to prepare to dive once again for prey. You seldom observe them in flight. Since they are heavy boned in order to be able to dive to depths of 80 meters, they must run along the surface of the water for considerable distances in order to take off into wind very much like an airplane. Often they are a distinctive twosome or perhaps foursome if their offspring are with them.

Last night was a night for spiritual observations as well. I started to think of man’s explanations for such natural grandeur and specialized characteristics. In university I studied, in great detail, Darwin’s Theory of Evolution. I believed it to be accurate for many years. I now just cannot accept its severe shortcomings. Such intricate beauty and indeed individuality did not just happen by chance and then change of necessity over time. Loons did not evolve. They were created by the God of the universe. Of course this train of thought is called creationism. Lately it has been referred to as intelligent design which I suspect is an attempt to water down just a little the power of a great and wonderful God. One of the most interesting fields of study of late is called chaos theory. This mathematical model has shown very clearly that although all things on this earth from animal behaviour to demographics appear to be random in nature, as time or circumstances unfold, a very definite pattern emerges. I wonder who set the pattern in motion. I wonder who controls the pattern. We don’t have to look to science or the future for the answer. The prophet Isaiah lived seven hundred and fifty years before the birth of Jesus. He had all these theories in hand already. I like his explanation better than all the modern theories. In Isaiah 40 we read:

12 ¶ Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, Measured heaven with a span And calculated the dust of the earth in a measure? Weighed the mountains in scales And the hills in a balance?
13 Who has directed the Spirit of the LORD, Or as His counselor has taught Him?
14 With whom did He take counsel, and who instructed Him, And taught Him in the path of justice? Who taught Him knowledge, And showed Him the way of understanding?
15 Behold, the nations are as a drop in a bucket, And are counted as the small dust on the scales; Look, He lifts up the isles as a very little thing.

By now you may have concluded that I am a creationist. That is an understatement. How delighted I am to be able to finally “understand” it all. I don’t need any more theories. He created it all. He created us all. I don’t know when he created us, but that no longer matters, because I know that He continues to care for us. In chapter one of the book of John in verse 10, we read further that the Son of God was there from the beginning as well.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

The world was made through Jesus. He was there at the moment of creation. He is still here. Unfortunately much of the world still does not know Him. I am thankful to know Him and how I am burdened that others would know Him as I do.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment