Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Monday, July 13, 2009

Patience

This morning I awoke very early in order to place yet another tarpaulin on our garage roof. One of my summer projects is to replace the roof over the garage. I have moved so slowly that covering the roof deck with tarps to keep off the frequent rain has become very necessary. When I was young and better able to endure, this would have been about a three day job. I have been at it for more than a month. It seems that I have one and a half to three hours of slow but steady labour in me on a very good day. That fact coupled with other work that must be completed this summer, including the splitting and piling of 20 cords of firewood and grass cutting, has meant that the roofing job has moved at a snail’s pace.

I reflected this morning, as Marley our dog quizzically looked up at me from the base of the extension ladder in the dawn’s early light, just how very patient I have become. I am quite prepared to finish this job just before the snow flies if necessary. My illness and slow recovery have created in me, not only a more submissive and stronger faith, but a very patient approach to work that must be done. As I reflected on my new found patience, it occurred to me that nothing could be compared to the infinite patience of our Lord and Saviour.

The words of my mother’s favourite hymn came to me as I descended from the roof. The hymn was written in 1880 by Will L. Thompson. The title of the hymn is actually the opening two lines as they are remembered below. In these words we see real patience! He is waiting and watching for you and for me.


“Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me.
See all the portals, He is waiting and watching,
Watching for you and for me,
Come home, come home,
Ye who are weary, come home.
Earnestly and tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Oh sinners come home.”

These words can be interpreted on two levels. The first is that Jesus is patiently waiting for sinners to confess their sins and profess their belief in Him. He is waiting and watching for them to be saved. This is where thousands of years of divine patience are evident.

A later verse in the hymn contains the following warning.

“Time is now fleeting, the moments are passing,
Passing from you and from me,
Shadows are gathering, deathbeds are coming,
Coming for you and for me.”

The second group he is waiting for are His lambs, who are already saved, who come to Him as they cross over the threshold of death. He is waiting to greet them as they joyfully enter the gates of heaven and enter their new home for all eternity.

The first group is offered longsuffering patience and the second group is patiently expected at their appointed time.

Jesus is waiting and watching for you and for me.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

1 comment:

  1. what a lovely gift jesus has given you. patience!

    love Tom

    ReplyDelete