Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Beware the Man

Lozanne and her brother have had a running argument, well more of a good natured debate than an argument, for several years. She has a favourite saying that she has insisted is in the Bible. Her Christian and earthly brother has disagreed strenuously on this point. “Beware the man who is too loved by all” is the wisdom that she shares from time to time. Indeed those who seek their own glory while supposedly serving God are to be watched carefully. We are told this by the Apostle Paul on several occasions. They may at times introduce doctrines that are not Biblical, but personal.

Lozanne is not talking about these false teachers. She is speaking of certain men who rise to relative greatness within a given church. They are very capable leaders and sometimes charismatic speakers. Others begin to defer to them for any and all decisions. Decisions that should have been corporate can become individual. Sometimes without even their own awareness, they begin to seek the glory that belongs to the Lord. They begin to enjoy the continual flattery and praise. They bask in the popularity that usually grows exponentially. We are told in The Book of Isaiah that this is not to happen and indeed the Lord will not allow such to happen. We read in Isaiah 42:8 the following wisdom.

8 I am the LORD, that is My name; And My glory I will not give to another, Nor My praise to carved images.

This quote is rendered wonderfully in the paraphrased Bible contained in the book called The Message.

8 I am GOD. That’s my name. I don’t franchise my glory, don’t endorse the no-god idols.

“I don’t franchise my glory” really captures the essence of the wisdom. We are to regard our God as just that. He is the LORD and he does not lend out His glory. The lesson for all of us is that we must constantly search our hearts and ascertain that indeed we are giving all the glory to Him and to no one else including ourselves. I find it very easy when praised for serving the Lord to enjoy the glory. We are not to do that. “Beware the man who is too loved”.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment