Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Dentist

I have a dental appointment next week. It just showed up on my computerized schedule in Outlook. I winced when I saw its unwelcome appearance. I dread going to the dentist. This reaction is absolutely irrational and not based on modern day experiences at the dentist. Our current dentist is very competent and always assures me a pain free visit to his ultramodern dental clinic. I am plagued all these years later by the effects of memories of another time in dentistry. When I was a child so many years ago, expected stoicism was more in vogue than compassion.

The very first dentist I visited as a four or five year old introduced me to an unnecessary aversion that will last a lifetime. I do remember that he appeared to be elderly to me. He was probably in his fifties or sixties in actuality. He unceremoniously, without any warning, reached into my mouth with a pair of pliers and pulled a baby tooth that was decayed, but was not the least bit loose. The necessity of administering novocaine, which was indeed in use, simply escaped him. He did not see the need to freeze before doing what he considered minor work in a very young mouth. As an older child, I was taken to a somewhat younger dentist whose outer office smelled strongly of antiseptics. You could also hear very clearly what was going on in the inner office. The drills in those days were actually mechanically driven by small wire belts and pulleys. They were dreadfully slow and emitted a loud grinding sound when in use. This dentist actually filled what he considered minor cavities without freezing. My memory of the pain of that drill remains with me to this day. My worst memories; however, are reserved for the orthodontist who treated me when I was in grade eight and nine. Orthodontics, at least in our home town, was in its infancy. My mother and I travelled by bus to a nearby city in order to have my teeth straightened. In my elementary school, I was indeed a novelty. No other student had ever even imagined wearing the large and sometimes painful wire braces. I was asked constantly to open my mouth and show what was on my teeth. The braces were installed in one four hour sitting with no freezing and even less regard for the pain inflicted. The monthly tightening of the wires was a dreadful experience and the pain lasted for days. The system of elastics and palettes worn was also cruel and unusual.

I realize, as I force myself to go to the dentist, that my aversion (read fear) is completely and utterly irrational. It does, however, help very much to keep in mind the words of Paul found in 2Timothy 1:7.

7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Paul of course is referring to the fear filled consequences of serving God and spreading the gospel in the first century. One could be imprisoned or even killed for teaching Christian doctrine. The verse also has a very universal meaning to us in the twenty-first century. The believer has not been given a spirit of timidity, but of power. The Amplified Bible renders the word fear as “of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear”. Instead of dwelling on unreasonable fear, I am able to tap into the power of God. By doing so, I feel His love as I love Him and acquire through His strength a calm and well balanced mind. Discipline and sober self-control are part of this soundness of mind. I will mentally carry this quote with me next week as I go to the dentist.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment