Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Peace I Give You

Last night I just sat and watched our English Springer Spaniel sleep. I have such difficulty getting a good night’s sleep that I actually envy her ability to just sleep. She starts of course with the obligatory three turns around in a circle. I suspect that this ritual is an instinctual check for nearby predators before lying down. Modern day domesticated dogs forget to look or smell for predators, but they still make the turns. She then stretches out her limbs as she settles on her side. Only Marley can stretch in such a luxuriant fashion. You then can see her legs and paws become more and more relaxed and loose. In a couple of minutes her breathing slows and becomes almost imperceptible. Her eyes close but can open up again at the slightest noise. She is absolutely loose, relaxed and even limp.

Of course her position of sleep is dictated by the room temperature. A cool room will cause her to curl up in a ball with her paws underneath her and her large floppy ears actually covering her face. A slightly warmer room will find her on her stomach with her snout on her paws. A still warmer room will allow her to lie on her side on the rug or even, I must admit, on the couch. As the temperature increases, she will move to the wood floor to lie on her side. Every once in a while she greatly entertains me with lying flat on her back with her legs straight in the air in order to cool down. I can’t think of a more peaceful sight than watching Marley sleep. If only we could learn to trust our Master like she does. Jesus tells us in John 14:27 the kind of peace we should be able to find.

27 "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

In this chapter, Jesus is telling His disciples about the coming of the Holy Spirit after His death. He terms Him the Helper. Other words found in the Amplified Bible to describe the Holy Spirit are Comforter, Counsellor, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener and Standby. Jesus is offering us not just any old peace, but His peace. He is not offering it as the world does with all its suspect motivations. He is offering it as our loving and trusted Saviour. If we accept Him and become saved, we are then indwelt by the Holy Spirit. We then have no reason to be fearful or troubled. We have only to remember that we are offered His peace if we will accept it.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment