Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/markthall

Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Thief on the Cross

Every once in a while, I feel compelled to read and meditate on certain passages in the Bible. I can go weeks with general reading, but sooner or later I must return to certain familiar passages. Today is one of those days. I have turned to Luke 23: 39-43. I can only marvel at this crucifixion scene as described by Luke.

39 Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, "If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us."

40 But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, "Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation?

41 "And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong."

42 Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom."

43 And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."

Lately I have been confronted with how some make the gospel so very complex. They dissect and intellectualize until it is difficult to make much sense of their interpretation of the Word of God. They place so many conditions on an assured salvation that I wonder how any of us can measure up. They are concentrating on the “todos”, not the grace through faith part that I hold onto every living moment. The television in our house is often tuned to various televangelists. After many years of study, both Lozanne and I are rather mature and discerning viewers and listeners. There are times of late that I wonder how the simplicity of the promise of salvation can be lost so often.

I am greatly assured by the experience of the thief on the cross in Luke 23. One of the two criminals crucified with Jesus sarcastically demands that Jesus, if He indeed is the Messiah, save Himself and the two criminals. The second sinner rebukes his fellow criminal and suggests that the two of them are getting just what they deserve. Jesus, he contends, has done nothing wrong. This criminal makes one profession of faith in Jesus when he asks, “Remember me when you come into Your Kingdom”. He hasn’t the time to pursue righteousness or to immerse himself in the Word of God. He has no opportunity to repent of his sins or even to feel remorse and make restitution to those he has harmed. He has the time to rebuke the other thief and to profess his belief in Jesus with one statement that is actually a request.

I love and cherish the answer given to him by Jesus. “Today you will be with me in paradise”. One earnest profession of belief and he is about to join Jesus in heaven that very day. That is the gospel I love, simple and beautiful.

(Comments, corrections, suggestions or rebuttals are welcome. My email link is contained in “About me: view my complete profile” to the right of this page or use the comment section below which requires that you have a Google account.)

No comments:

Post a Comment